In this session:
Library design and e-commerce design are not fundamentally different. What traditionally works in e-commerce tends to work in libraries. And online "shopping" is no different - your patrons want to navigate your library's catalog of equipment, browse for what they need, "add to cart", and check-out.
Creating a Digital Storefront Using LibCal Equipment Booking
If your library has made significant investments in lendable equipment like laptops, tablets, headphones, cameras, tripods, etc. and you want to ensure that this equipment is used, you might want to consider LibCal's Equipment Booking Module!
In this 30min tour, explore how you can create a digital storefront of your library equipment that rivals Amazon!
- Accessibility Updates: Explore recent accessibility updates and improvements.
- Mobile Improvements: View how the equipment catalog is mobile-friendly.
- Booking Form Improvements: Create a question bank and reuse book forming questions multiple times.
- Visually Focused Public Catalog: Tiled-based layout makes it easy for patrons to browse and reserve equipment.
- Reserve Multiple Items: Adding items to the cart allows patrons to reserve multiple items with one reservation.
- Check Items In & Out: Easily check-in and check-out items so your catalog always displays your available items.
- Flexible Scheduling: Circulate items for hours or days with flexible scheduling options.
- Category-Level Security: Apply authentication or mediation for specific categories of items and not others.
- Mediated Equipment Bookings: Approve/Deny bookings on a case-by-case basis.
- Hours Module Integration: Already using LibCal Hours module to manage your library hours? The Equipment Booking setup process allows you to connect to your Hours module so you'll only have to manage availability in one place.
- Authentication Support @ Group-Level: SAML, CAS, Shibboleth, Active Directory, LDAP, and SIP2 authentication so only authorized users can borrow items. Plus, you can restrict equipment/spaces to specific groups of users like faculty, undergrads, or YA.
Recommended Help Guide: Managing Equipment Bookings
Training Session Software
For our sessions we use Zoom. There is a small browser plug in required for entering the webinar. It will download automatically when joining the webinar or can be downloaded in advance (Zoom Client for Meetings). For additional help using Zoom, check out our Trouble Shooting Guide.